Did you hear about the pumpkin shortage this year? My sister called me this morning from Maine and told me the news and I immediately hopped in my car and practically cleared the grocery store's canned pumpkin supply. She apparently can't find any in Maine and I about panicked that the shortage may also hit CA. How would I survive?!
After unloading my grocery bag, a small amount of buyer's remorse set in about the ridiculous amount of canned pumpkin I now have. Time to get busy pumpkin-ing I decided.
This is roughly the same time I realized I didn't have time for my daily coffee in the midst the pumpkin mayhem morning. I have a love/hate relationship with Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte- my mouth loves it but my wallet does not. With the overwhelming amount of pumpkin on my shelf, I decided to make my own version. After a little thought and research, I present you with my delicious, homemade and much cheaper option to the habit that is Starbucks.
Makes two lattes
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canned real pumpkin
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon (half in mixture, half on top)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Whipped cream (you pick the amount!)
- Brew one cup of coffee.
- In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and brown sugar.
- Add mixture to saucepan and heat on low for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add coffee and mix.
- Heat mixture until hot.
- Pour into your coffee cup and top with whipped cream and remaining cinnamon.