Saturday, October 8, 2011

make your own pumpkin spice latte



Did you hear about the pumpkin shortage this year? My sister called me this morning from Maine and told me the news and I immediately hopped in my car and practically cleared the grocery store's canned pumpkin supply. She apparently can't find any in Maine and I about panicked that the shortage may also hit CA. How would I survive?!

After unloading my grocery bag, a small amount of buyer's remorse set in about the ridiculous amount of canned pumpkin I now have. Time to get busy pumpkin-ing I decided.

This is roughly the same time I realized I didn't have time for my daily coffee in the midst the pumpkin mayhem morning. I have a love/hate relationship with Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte- my mouth loves it but my wallet does not. With the overwhelming amount of pumpkin on my shelf, I decided to make my own version. After a little thought and research, I present you with my delicious, homemade and much cheaper option to the habit that is Starbucks.

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Makes two lattes
 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/4 cup canned real pumpkin 
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (half in mixture, half on top)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • Whipped cream (you pick the amount!) 

Directions:
  1. Brew one cup of coffee.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and brown sugar. 
  3. Add mixture to saucepan and heat on low for 5 minutes or until heated through.
  4. Add coffee and mix.
  5. Heat mixture until hot.
  6. Pour into your coffee cup and top with whipped cream and remaining cinnamon.
  7. Enjoy!
 You may also enjoy: Fall Pumpkin Soup Recipe

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy! AND I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand. Hmmmm maybe a late night treat is in order....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Share your thoughts: