Tuesday, December 6, 2011

on the fifth day of christmas: a DIY guest contribution by elizabeth




On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me... 5 golden rings {I wish}, 4 calling bird{y}s, 3 french hens, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.

Today my Christmas post is from my first-ever guest contributor and good friend, Elizabeth.

DIY Christmas Globe Post by Elizabeth:

Finally – the dishes are clean, the left-overs are dwindling away and Thanksgiving has come and gone. Growing up, this meant we could officially start playing Christmas music around the house and begin putting up the decorations. Well, I haven’t wasted a second starting my Christmas season.  Yesterday, I picked up two old-timey Christmas records for 99 cents each from my favorite record store, Lou’s (http://www.lousrecords.com/main/index.php) in Encinitas. Then I spent the rest of the day “inspiration shopping” – that’s when I pop in to all of my favorite stores like Anthropologie and West Elm, drool over the things I probably shouldn’t splurge on and think, “how can I achieve something like this on a budget?”

Let the Christmas crafts commence! Yesterday I spotted an adorable little mason jar snow globe at Anthro for $38. I thought to myself, I could probably make something like that for pretty cheap. So I did!

This morning I stopped in to Michaels craft store and bought:
  • mason jar $1.99 (any size will do!)
  • extra fine flurry snow $3.49
  • and a few little Christmas trees (the kind you see in the little Christmas city-scapes) for $2.49
(I recommend playing some Christmas tunes while you craft.) Using a hot glue gun, I secured the trees to the inside of the mason jar top. You can also glue the trees to wine corks and secure those to the jar top for varying heights. Turn the top upside-down to make sure the little trees are secure and the glue is dry. Last fill the jar with as much snow or glitter as you like. Screw the lid onto the jar, turn it upside-down and ta-da! you have yourself a sweetly nostalgic Christmas knick-knack for the mantel! (And it took only 5 minutes and $8).

-{elizabeth}

Thank you Elizabeth I hope there are many more contributions to come from you! 

Don't miss my other "12 Days of Christmas" posts:


2 comments:

  1. No WAY, I was totally planning to make some of these this weekend. This will be helpful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your website,
    how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
    I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered shiny transparent concept
    Stop by my site - cheap christian louboutin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Share your thoughts: